Monday, April 10, 2006

in praise of poultry


they are like dinosaurs, they way they run, big legs pumping and covering ground quickly. they can fly but often choose not to. When they do, its an interesting flight. If they were jets they could land on aircraft carriers...they make extreme sharp turns and short landings. the little wings blurred like fast moving insect wings and the tail feathers fan out like a quail. they are master earth movers, scratching up grubs and larvae, picking them up and dashing them down to the earth to bleed out the soft insides. their eyesight is enviable and when they turn that one eye upon you for inspection it is the stuff of horror films. Its no mystery to me that birds are the descendants of dinos. Their vocabulary is very specific with soft trills and sharp reports, and they can be so so sweet - when you have peanut butter to share or some sweet cake-like cornbread. they are a social creature in may ways, hanging around wherever the people are and inquisitive of the goings on around the place. Yes, this is another love letter to chickens and probably not the last.

8 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Hmmn? Think I seen this rooster...

Ladyslippers is poppin' up in yore parts?

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

hi aunty belle

you may have theres been alot chicken photos over here! course, over thar in crackerville these ol boys are probly a dime a dozen.

no slippers yet. i looked in the place it always is and didnt even see any green started...trillium are up but not blooming. saw some wild ginger, trout lily and the fiddleheads are up. you would love it.

very good to see you. i have some words to write about chickens but i am behind......as are you. you are slacking on your posting looks like.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Slackin'?? Oh chile!!

Better git on up to the Front Porch

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Oh. and yes, puddin' near to crackerville in the metropolis of Narcoosee I think I seen one jes' like your rooster.

Luhve yore nature posts...refreshing look at things as they truly are.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

aunty belle? are you trying to stir up some trouble on the native here? good looking lil' thing aint she?

/howl

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Aunty Belle said...

K-9! Yes, pup, she's got some possiblities....but she looks pretty HUMAN to me, dawg. Git on back to Freya, a fer shur goodlookin' dawg.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Mr Q said...

If they learned how to behave in the house, I would love to have them around. I love pot bellies for indoors but can't care for any of them for now, perhaps in a few decades. GN, your request is now a reality not my favorite but it is the latest.

Rooster soup is the best. I really know that.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Wadical said...

Thx for the visit.

I like chickens....under cellophane.

Every time I think of them birds, a disgusting memory comes to mind. Just after getting out of the Navy I got a job filling Pepsi Machines. One of my machines was at Shoal Farms (a processing plant) Live birds in the front, dead birds out the back....by the thousands. It was July, 101 degrees, and quite windy as I remember. As I was unloading the cases of drinks a truck pulling a dump trailer went by at about 30 mph. As best I can tell, it was hauling a very large load of chicken crap, perhaps chicken guts, out to the spray fields.

I turned green instantly. I felt sea sick. I got dizzy and nearly vomited. That was the largest pile of crap I'd ever seen. And it was by far the most disgusting smell I have ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

Marvelous creatures though they may be, I think I'll keep my contact to those already under wrap.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home